Keeping up with cyberspace

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Keeping up with cyberspace

For quite some time now, I have tried to create my own space in Internet´s never ending global ocean and have not been able to ride my first wave well yet. To me, it is essential not only to use it for socializing and keeping updated on what friends are doing all over the world, or looking for specific information for work or personal enjoyment but as a teacher, I need to understand how things work and how I can make the best use of it for my students' learning. I am frustrated by the fact that the students who might need it the most are those who do not have the means to access it and when offered the opportunity at school, they rather spend that time studying Math or Physics as freshman students of a highly prestigious and demanding public university in my country where education is free and open to all who are able to pass a highly rigurous admission test.

My challenge, then, is to find ways to reach those students in most need by creating exciting environments where they will be willing to participate and learn sometimes on their own, sometimes with the help of classmates, students and/or teachers from other cities or countries and be able to become independent learners ready to share with me and others their accomplishments.

I´m on my way and I am counting on you ... yes, you!!!

6 Comments:

  • Dear Berta,
    Very nice blog. I just visited your official web, but then I could not understand a word of spanish. I have the same dream to reach my students after finish school but then it is impossible. The population of my country is about 200.000.000. I made cyber self-study at www.lc.itb.ac.id and also creating personal web with my friends but still working on it. www.geocities.com/upis3.
    I plan to use blogger to teach writing this semester. If interested you can go to sbmjati.blogspot.com; acjati.blogspot.com; twjati.blogspot.com Thanks so much for viciting my crazy blog.
    Rgds
    Jati

    By Blogger Jati, at 1/27/2005 7:58 AM  

  • Hi there!
    Nice blog. I liked your reflection a lot and the "challanges" you want to take with your students.
    I am also very intersted in blogs. I think they have great potential and can be used for class purposes, especially for writting. At the moment I cannot use blogs with my students since most of them don't have a computer at home and our network is not working properly.
    Please keep us posted about what you are doing. How you are using blogs and if it working as you expected.
    And yes count on us... we will count on yu too!:-)

    A portuguese hug,
    cris

    By Blogger Cristina Costa, at 1/28/2005 1:28 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Sharon, at 1/28/2005 6:50 AM  

  • Hi, Berta!
    Congratulations on your very nice and inspiring blog! And also on your children!
    We have a couple of things in common. First, I also consider myself a very fortunate person in all aspects of life, especially family, friends and colleagues, namely those I have worked with and met through the Webheads.
    Second, ever since I started involving my students in computers 8 years ago, I've always tried to give "all" of them access to the same things. I even ran the school Computer and Internet Club for 4 years with the main aim of giving basic training to students who came from low-income backgrounds and had no access to computers at home. It was very successful and very gratifying!
    I hope that BaW2005 can contribute somewhat to showing you some of the tools and ways by which you can create "exciting environments to reach those students in most need".
    Best of luck to your daughter!
    Enjoy the workshop!
    Teresa

    By Blogger Teresa Almeida d'Eça, at 1/28/2005 3:17 PM  

  • XXXX
    Pepe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/10/2005 10:04 AM  

  • xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/19/2005 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home